Skip to content

Sunrise host David Koch delivered a brilliant one-liner when interviewing Anthony Mundine

Boxing3.jpg

You can always rely on Sunrise host David Koch to tell it how it is when it comes to the world of boxing.

The Channel 7 star was surprisingly blunt with Anthony Mundine when the 43-year-old fighter made an official announcement on Thursday morning TV that he is coming back out of retirement for one last shot at Aussie star Jeff Horn.

Mundine made the same announcement in December, but his Sunrise interview included confirmation that the outspoken former rugby league star intends to fight Aussie Michael Zerafa in a bid to try and earn a re-match with Horn.

Mundine announced his retirement after being stopped inside the first round during his fight with Horn in Brisbane last year.

He looked desperately out of his depth.

Despite the concerns for his health following such a one-sided beating against Horn, Mundine says he wants to end his career on his terms by having the final say against Horn. He admits he needs to earn a re-match by delivering a few victories of his own.

That’s why he appeared on Seven on Thursday morning, announcing that he’s looking to fight Zerafa — more than four years after the Victorian fighter first publicly called out The Man for a showdown.

Unfortunately, his announcement was overshadowed by the moment Koch spoke his mind and said what many Aussie fans have been thinking about Mundine’s comeback plans.

“After reflecting on the last fight, I wanted to sail into the sunset,” Mundine began saying when asked what his big announcement is.

“I wanted to win that fight and sail off into the sunset and live happily ever after, but you know, the way things turned out through God’s will, I really feel that The Man can’t go out like that. I can’t go out in that fashion. I need to make sure I go out with a victory.

“I need to get back and try and match Jeff Horn, but they want me to have a win or two first.”

Koch was simply shocked that Mundine wasn’t announcing his retirement again.

“Mate, you are the John Farnham of boxing,” he said after calling out Mundine for his ongoing retirement flops.

A clearly uncomfortable Mundine responded: “I don’t know about that man. I might be the new Michael Jackson.

“I’m going to come back from the dead. You’re all going to see it.

“I just want to get back with Jeff Horn and we will see what happens. Obviously, if I lose again, I’m done. It’s finished. It’s over. But I really feel like I’m feeling too good and too fresh. I’m still feeling great.”

He said he simply wants to end his career with bragging rights over Horn.

It comes after Horn in December took a sneaky jab at The Man, calling the 43-year-old “past his best”.

The 30-year-old former school teacher crushed Mundine in 96 seconds in November.

Mundine had said it would be his last fight, but in late December he decided he wanted a rematch.

Speaking with Fox Sports News, Mundine said he felt he had earned another shot at Horn.

“I feel that I have enough runs on the board to warrant an immediate rematch, because I know that wasn’t me. The fans know it wasn’t me either. I feel he got lucky,” Mundine said in the December interview.

“Good luck to him and his team, but I feel I’ve got the runs on the board in my career to warrant a rematch, I truly believe I can win.

“A lot of the experts and doubters have me as a massive underdog, but for me to go out as I want to go out; I’ve earned that. I would like to try and have another fight with Jeff definitely.

“I like his camp, they’re good people, good guys, it’s nothing personal.”

Horn, who won his world title by downing boxing legend Manny Pacquiao at Suncorp Stadium before losing it to American Terence Crawford in Las Vegas, quashed the rematch hype from Mundine.

“It was a big shock to me, to be honest,” Horn said on Sky News. “I was expecting another big, hard probably 10-12 rounds with Mundine on that night, just like with Pacquiao.

“My second appearance at Suncorp Stadium, it was just a shock to me that I was able to get him that quickly.

“It just shows how hard I trained and, I guess — I don’t like putting Mundine down, but there’s a different level now between me and Mundine. He’s past his best now.”

 

Published 7th Feburary 2019 on foxsports.com.au

Categories

Boxing, news

%d bloggers like this: