NRL rosters are slowly filling up for the 2019 season, but there are still a couple of players who are without a contract.
From one of the game’s greatest players to one of this year’s leading tryscorers, these are a couple of the biggest names still unsigned.
One of the biggest head-scratchers this pre-season has been the contract stalemate between Melbourne and their skipper.
It’s been reported that the sticking point has been the length of the deal, with Smith, 35, looking for a two-year extension compared to the Storm’s one.
Despite the lingering issue, the club are adamant that the former Australia and Queensland star will be playing in 2019.
“We know a contract will be done,” Storm football manager Frank Ponissi recently told AAP.
“It’s still ongoing but everything’s really positive and it’s not a matter of whether or not he will play next year; he will be playing.”
Smith is on an extended holiday and is scheduled to return to training on January 3.
When Segeyaro is in form, his running game in the middle of the park is one the most threatening in the competition.
But the Papua New Guinea international has not been offered a contract extension from Cronulla and remains a free agent.
The 28-year-old made his NRL debut with North Queensland in 2011 before going on to play with Penrith, Leeds and then the Sharks.
Segeyaro has 141 NRL games to his name and would be a handy late pick-up for a club looking to bolster their hooking stocks.
After enjoying a breakout 2018 season, it seems incredible that the third highest tryscorer (19 tries) of the year is still unsigned.
But despite not yet being contracted to South Sydney for 2019, Jennings has still turned up to training.
It’s been reported that a lack of room in the salary cap is preventing the Rabbitohs from retaining Jennings, but as of Monday, new coach Wayne Bennett was unsure if he’d be at the club next year.
“I’m not so sure about him,’’ Bennett said. “I’m not totally up to date on him.”
Rabbitohs powerhouse forward Sam Burgess was hopeful of the club keeping Jennings.
“He’s a good kid, he’s under control,” Burgess said. “We’ve had some good conversations.
The office staff and (general manager of football) Shane Richardson) and (team manager) Mark (Ellison) are hopefully able to get it sorted quickly because I think he’s one of the most valuable players in the team.”
“Hooker, 90kg, all round good guy, enjoys hard work and winning, looking for a club.”
Those were the words the former St George Illawarra, North Queensland and Parramatta player used to describe himself when he took to Twitter recently in search of a new home.
After two seasons at the Eels, King’s contract wasn’t renewed so he’s been left in limbo.
The 27-year-old made his NRL debut at the Dragons in 2010, but has managed just 43 first grade appearances since due to recurring injuries.
That said, his stint in the blue and gold was some of his most consistent NRL football to date, proving he’s still got more to offer.
Another Eels player left unsigned, Vave played 30 games for the blue and golds before his contract wasn’t renewed.
All up, the 29-year-old has 107 NRL games to his name, his best football coming during his time at Manly in 2016 when he averaged 9.8 runs and 97 metres per game.
The 188cm, 115kg prop admitted earlier this year he “had a real bad pre-season” which affected his fitness levels.
He was linked with a move to Newcastle back in September after meeting with Nathan Brown, but nothing eventuated, with the Knights going on to sign the likes of David Klemmer and James Gavet.
Published by John Dean, 7th December 2018 on foxsports.com.au