Published by Alex Blair, 10 November 2018 on news.com.au
DAVID Warner has been sent on his way early on in Randwick-Petersham’s clash against Steve Smith’s Sutherland at Coogee Oval.
The banned international opener took guard for the first time since his highly publicised walk-off against Western Suburbs and was dismissed for 13 off the bowling of Austin Waugh, the son of former Test and ODI skipper Steve.
Waugh, bowling medium pace
Warner was reported to have slashed at a wide ball from the 19-year-old and sent the cherry straight into the hands of leg-spinner Daniel Fallins at backward point.
Cricket.com.au reporter Samuel Ferris revealed the “healthy” crowd let out a huge groan as Warner left the field.
Former Aussie skipper Smith was fielding in the slips.
World Cup-winning all-rounder Shane Watson, who retired from international cricket in 2016, also took the field for Sutherland.
Randwick-Petersham president and former Aussie fast bowler Mike Whitney showered praise on Warner from the sidelines.
“As the president of the club I coulnd’t have asked any more from him,” Whitney said on FOX Sports.
The former seamer said Warner had been spending quality time with Randwick-Petersham’s seven grade sides, including a host of juniors.
Whitney said a young boy named Sam travelled all the way from Ballarat with him mum after sending the club a letter about how much he wanted to see Warner play.
“They’ve been walking around the ground throwing the footy to each other. I know I want to see Randy-Peets take the win but that moment there … Sam’s mum cannot believe what’s gone on and she’s thanking me profusely,” Whitney said.
“I nearly shed a tear. David was saying to him ‘Come on mate, you’re hanging out with me all day. It’s an amazing story.”
Unfortunately for Smith and Watson, the fall of Warner didn’t slow Randwick Petersham down. Opening partner Daniel Bell-Drummond — an Englishman making his first grade debut for the club — scored at a nice clip to cruise into the 90s as the home side moved to 3/191 in the 38th over.
Captain and first drop Anthony Sams chipped in with 55 but NSW player Jason Sangha, who scored his maiden Sheffield Shield century during the week against Tasmania, was bowled for a second-ball duck.
NSW quick Daniel Sams joined Bell-Drummond at the crease as the pair set the platform for a late innings assault.
Bell-Drummond brought up triple figures before departing for 106 as Randwick Petersham finished its 50 overs at 8/267.
Smith was called upon to send down some leg breaks and was tidy, picking up 1/35 from 10 overs. Waugh ended with 3/43 from nine overs.
Watson starred for Sutherland with a half-century as they proceeded to chase down the home side. The 37-year-old former international was joined by Smith — batting at No. 3 — at the crease in the 10th over.
Smith was dismissed just short of making a half-century, caught by NSW teenager Jason Sangha off the bowling of Riley Ayre. He fell for 48 after partner Watson was dismissed for 63.
Despite the loss of the two biggest names, Sutherland clinched bragging rights over Randwick-Petersham as they claimed victory with two balls to spare.
Smith and Warner, both serving bans over the Newlands ball tampering fiasco in March, have received ongoing support for their year-long suspensions to be scrapped as they fight to win back favour in the community.
HOW WARNER’S SLEDGING CIRCUS UNFOLDED
Warner’s wife Candice opened up on the ugly sledging affair following the former opener’s club cricket walk-off two weeks ago.
Reported comments made by Western Suburbs player Jason Hughes forced Warner to leave the crease and march off the field.
He returned to hit a glittering 157 after a two-minute break.
“I won’t go into the details yesterday but David was taken aback by the comments, and thought they went a little bit too far, so he decided to remove himself from the game,” she said on Channel Nine’s Sports Sunday.
“He left the field because first of all he didn’t like what he was hearing and where that could have been taken. It was hurtful, very hurtful.”
Warner is serving a 12 month ban alongside Steve Smith after Australia’s unfortunate ball tampering fiasco in March. The incident was one of the final dominoes to fall in Australian cricket’s push for a complete overhaul.
Panellist Peter FitzSimons grilled Candice over the debacle, asking if her husband was “the last person who can complain about vicious sledging”.
“Everyone has their own opinion but there is a difference between sledging and abuse,” she said.
“I personally would have put (the sledge) into that category.”
The Western Suburbs District Cricket Club later issued a statement from club president Michael Swan on Facebook which denied the comments from Jason Hughes were about his dead brother Phillip, a former Australian teammate of Warner’s.
The statement said: “There was no barrage of sledges aimed at David Warner by any WSDCC player.
“There was a brief exchange between Jason Hughes and David Warner. This exchange had nothing to do with Phil Hughes. This exchange was not vicious or abusive as alleged in some sections of the media.
“The WSDCC believes it has maintained integrity at all times and is fully supportive of Jason Hughes and all our players.”
Fairfax Media reported Hughes told Warner: “You’re a disgrace, you shouldn’t be playing cricket.”